223 East Main Street, Moncks Corner, SC 29461 Schedule A Free Consultation: 843-761-8213

Moncks Corner Legal Issues Blog

When should you seek medical help for a burn?

Workplace burns come in different degrees. A minor burn such as a first degree burn is something you can treat and usually heals in a short time. Other burns can be more severe and even deadly, requiring the intervention of paramedics to preserve life. If your ordeal does not seem life threatening, you might decide to delay a doctor visit or forego it in favor of home remedies.

Still, even a minor burn might produce serious health problems. WebMD provides some helpful guidance to inform you whether seeking medical help may be prudent.

Pain that persists or worsens

The pain from a small burn may go away after a few hours. If it does not and the burned area still appears red, you may have a problem. Burn pain can also worsen. Also pay attention to the size of a burn blister. WebMD recommends going to a doctor if the blister’s size is more than two inches or if it oozes.

Burn infections

Since burns damage the skin, they put you at risk for infections. Be aware of any sign that may indicate you have an infection. In addition to pain, you may also experience any of the following:

In addition, you should seek medical help for a burn if you are overdue for a tetanus or booster shot. Check to see the last date when you received your booster.

The location of the burn

Even minor burns can do serious damage to certain areas of the body. Such areas of concern include your face, hands, feet, or your genitals, all of which may warrant medical attention.

Regardless of the reason to seek medical help, you may expect a doctor to prescribe certain remedies for your condition. You could need medicine to manage pain. If you have an infection, a doctor will likely prescribe antibiotics. Receiving an early diagnosis may spare you from a worsening condition that could degrade your health and prevent you from returning to work.