223 East Main Street, Moncks Corner, SC 29461 Schedule A Free Consultation: 843-761-8213

Moncks Corner Legal Issues Blog

Applying for workers’ compensation after a traumatic injury

People who work physical jobs such as construction have an elevated risk of traumatic employment injuries. If you or a loved one has an accident on the job, you can file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits in South Carolina.

Review the application process for workers’ comp if you experience a temporary or permanent disability after a workplace injury.

Steps to take

First, report the injury to your employer as soon as you can. You can also request medical treatment from an approved physician at this time. If you see a different doctor, workers’ comp will not cover your care. If you do not report your injury within 90 days, you lose the chance to apply for benefits.

Your employer must file a claim with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission after learning of a qualifying injury. You can also file your own report with the WCC.

Types of benefits

If you qualify, you can receive coverage for your medical bills. However, your employer has the right to choose your health care provider for injury-related care. If you cannot work temporarily, you can receive temporary disability benefits. The state also provides for total or partial permanent disability benefits if you experience a permanent loss of function. You will receive payments of 66 2/3% of your average weekly wage in the four quarters prior to the injury.

After approval, you will begin receiving benefits after a seven-day waiting period. You can file an appeal with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission if your employer or its insurance provider denies your request for benefits after an injury.